A Hall effect sensor is a transducer that varies its output voltage in response to a magnetic field. Hall effect sensors are used for proximity switching, positioning, speed detection, and current sensing applications. Application:Position sensing, Direct current (DC) transformers, Automotive fuel level indicator,Keyboard switch.
A Hall effect sensor may operate as an electronic switch.
· Such a switch costs less than a mechanical switch and is much more reliable.
· It can be operated up to 100 kHz.
· It does not suffer from contact bounce because a solid state switch with hysteresis is used rather than a mechanical contact.
· It will not be affected by environmental contaminants since the sensor is in a sealed package.
In the case of linear sensor (for the magnetic field strength measurements), a Hall effect sensor:
· can measure a wide range of magnetic fields
· is available that can measure either North or South pole magnetic fields
· can be flat